“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 9 January 2015

Don't Take It For Granted

For the last 48 hours, I have been in some considerable pain. I had been prescribed some painkillers for an on-going problem with my arm, and my poor tummy didn't like them. I had a bad reaction to them, which started on Wednesday morning, and only subsided on Thursday evening.


But it's left me feeling tired and listless and disinclined to do anything. But I know that I must, so I'm trying to summon up some mojo from somewhere.

But the last couple of days, and how grim I've felt during them, have made me appreciate anew two things:

1. my wonderful body, which usually holds up marvellously, doing all the complex tasks that a body does, and lets me get on with my life. I am grateful for her.

2. it has made me understand (just a little) how tough it must be to have a serious, on-going medical condition, and to live with pain, and all that pain brings, every day of your life. I have friends who manage this with such spirit and resilience and courage. I am lost in respect and admiration for them.

Because I do realise how very blessed I am, to have nothing seriously wrong with me - just the aches and pains of age. And I can still hope that Something Can Be Done, whereas some people I know just have to live with their conditions, day in and day out, forever and ever.

And that is grim. Huge respect to you all. If there is anything I can to to make your life a little easier, just call.

No comments:

Post a Comment