“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Saturday 13 February 2016

My Life In Eight (and a Bit) Objects

The colour supplement of our Saturday paper has recently been running a column entitled My Life In Eight Objects, which features eight beautifully photographed objects, accompanied by the chosen person's explanations. And I find it fascinating. Some of the things chosen seem to be so random, but obviously stand for an important part of that person's life.

So I decided to do my own ...


I'm not computer-savvy enough to put in little numbers by each object, but I think they are fairly easy to identify. So roughly from left to right, and then top to bottom within that:

1. a photo of my two children-no-longer-children, taken on our last family holiday in 2013, before they both went off to university.
2. a silver bangle, which was a present from my husband on our 30th wedding anniversary. It was made in the year we got married.
3. the copper chalice, made for me by a member of Northampton Unitarians, and given to me when I started my ministry training.
4. a journal, to symbolise the importance of writing in my life (the accompanying pen is the "and a bit".
5. The Lord of the Rings, my all-time favourite book, to symbolise my love of reading.
6. my fitbit, to show the joy that exercise brings to my life.
7. my iPhone, which stands for all the IT wizardry which help me to communicate with the outside world.
8. my prayer beads, made at Summer School in 2009, which are central to my spiritual life.

It was surprisingly difficult to narrow my list down to the eight objects. Had I been allowed nine, my precious cat would have made it in there too, but I haven't got a decent photo of her in hard copy.

I would love to see other people's take on this ...

No comments:

Post a Comment